DOCTYPE html> How To Apply

How To Apply

Responsive image

Any professional worker from health, social care, housing or a charity, who is supporting the individual requiring assistance, is capable of assessing their needs and willing to act on their behalf, is eligible to make a Grant Application to Independence at Home.

All applications must be submitted on behalf of the individual by Referrers.

We do not accept applications directly from individual members of the public.

The following workers are eligible to be Referrers:

  • Staff employed by statutory health, social care or advice services-e.g. a Specialist Nurse, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist or Social Worker. A Doctor can be a referrer but only if he/she is willing to submit the application and follow through on its outcome.

  • Professional workers from charities that provide a health, social care, welfare or advice service

  • Citizens Advice workers

  • Professional workers from Tenancy Support, Care and Repair organisations and Housing Associations

  • Summary of Information Required for Grant Application

    We will need the following information to assess grant applications:

    Applicant details

    The Applicant is the person who needs the item of equipment or building work. Where the Applicant is under 18, the child’s name should be given as the Applicant and not that of the parent.

    Referrer contact details

    Our communications about the application will go to the Referrer.

    Case of need

    We ask the Referrer to tell us why a grant is required-to state the Applicant’s medical diagnosis, tell us about the Applicant’s circumstances, what they need and why they need it, linking this to their medical condition. Written confirmation of medical diagnosis will be required from Referrers who are not qualified health or social care practitioners.

    Financial situation

    We need to know who lives with the Applicant and their relationship, type of accommodation, total household weekly income, sources of income, amount of savings and/or debts. We need to know what other funding is available or has been applied for and whether the Applicant can make a personal contribution.

    Details of the equipment or building work

    We need a copy of a recent quotation from the supplier of the equipment or from the contractor who will carry out building work. We will normally pay our grant to the company and need their payee details. In some cases we will pay the grant to the Referrer’s organisation and need their payee details instead.
    More information can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions.

    Grant Application Form

    Please click here for the on-line Grant Application Form.

    Please ensure that you have any attachments e.g. Occupational Therapy Report, quotation, ready in a soft copy version, including scanning any relevant documents, before you start to fill in our Grant Application Form. These need to be sent to a separate email address, as explained in the paragraph below.

    Follow up to Grant Application

    When the completed Grant Application Form is submitted the Referrer will receive an automated email from Independence at Home with a reference number for the application and a link to an email address for attachments. The application will be assessed when all necessary information and attachments have been received. The Referrer should hear from us within two working weeks regarding the outcome of the application. Incomplete applications will not be processed or followed up by staff.

    Please note that we do not accept paper or letter applications and can only consider applications made on-line by an appropriate referrer.


    More case studies here